Home healthcare can be paid for a number of ways. Medicare, Medicare Replacement Plans, Medicaid, Medical HMOs, private insurance, workers’ compensation, veterans’ benefits, and self pay.
These payors require several conditions be met to qualify for home healthcare:
- The patient has been referred by a physician to a home healthcare agency for care.
- The agency is certified by Medicare.
- The patient is restricted in his or her ability to leave home and this is certified by a physician.
- The patient requires skilled nursing care, physical therapy, speech therapy or occupational therapy that is reasonable and necessary.
Medicare will cover the following home healthcare services:
- Skilled nursing
- Home health aide
- Physical, speech, or occupational therapy
- Medical social services
- Some medical supplies
- FDA approved injectable osteoporosis drugs, in certain circumstances
The eligibility requirements and services covered by private insurance carriers vary by company and you should talk to your provider before seeking home healthcare services. Sta-Home is a network provider for many of the larger insurance carriers.